Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2019

No more friends (only sex)



1. While sex is a common phenomenon in nature, friendship is a property of human beings: You will never find two animals ‘discussing.’
2. However when people do talk, what do they talk about?
3. Is there a deeper cause of verbal or of any other form of communication, or is communication just a means to achieve a different cause, and what that cause may be?

4. I would guess that 95% of anything we say or discuss is nonsense or unimportant- fashion, the weather, or even a scientific theory not yet proved, among other things.
5. But when we talk to others, don’t we just try to impose our own thoughts and beliefs- buy this pair of shoes, don’t go out it will rain, my theory is correct, etc.?
6. Even during the most sincere conversation, where we supposedly respect the other person’s point of view, or where we are careful in stating ours, isn’t there the deepest wish that we will finally be right?
7. Therefore it seems that the best discussion can take place between two equal people- having both either weak or strong arguments (otherwise the will of the stronger will be imposed on that of the weaker).
8. Is there something which the rest of the animal world knows but which we might have forgotten?
9. Is friendship just an aspect of politeness which we bear just to achieve another selfish cause- for example, getting a job or  finally finding a sex partner?

10. So let’s put the formalities aside…
11. Do you want to come with me tonight?
12. I have a new theory about the formation of the universe to talk to you about.
13. I believe that my theory is so perfect that I will finally become rich and famous- no matter what I say about myself concerning sacrifice and humility.
14. If you don’t like my theory then it’s ok- but if you cannot understand me then we cannot be close friends.
15. Having said that, you can forget my theory and we can go to bed together.

16. We can have some fun together- no matter what the reason may be.

6/5/2019
Image: [https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/12/the-sex-recession/573949/]

No comments:

Post a Comment